(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Friday, February 7, 2020

Ensuring a Fair and Equitable Democracy for All

Flying through a turbulent summer storm a few years ago, I struck up a conversation with the woman beside me. We talked about our respective work with all of our joys and curiosities. While gripping the arm rest, I listened to her share how she had grown up in a rural town in Texas and had been working for the U.S. Census Bureau for more than two decades. 

I was inspired by her unassuming devotion, her insight, analysis and her global consciousness. This dedicated woman, having worked hard to put her daughter through college, is active in her AME Church and community, and is committed to the study and movement of populations in the United States and territories. She sees where population growth is happening; where congressional lines are and might be redrawn; where racial/ethnic communities live and where people move.  

I had received a glimpse into her life and work as a devout Christian, a dedicated public servant committed to the commonweal and welfare of these United States. I found her quietly inspiring. I shall never forget her kindness to me and devotion to the public good. 
Read more at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment