(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Wednesday with the Wesleys


John Wesley often endured terrible weather, but he also faced threats from people. Here is a typical example—

16 Sept 1743.

I preached to four or five hundred on St. Hilary Downs. And many seemed amazed. But I could find none as yet who had any deep or lasting conviction.

In the evening, as I was preaching at St. Ives, Satan began to fight for his kingdom. The mob of the town burst into the room, and created much disturbance; roaring and striking those that stood in their way as though Legion himself possessed them. I would fain have persuaded our people to stand still; but the zeal of some, and the fear of others, had no ears; so that finding the uproar increase, I went into the midst, and brought the head of the mob up with me to the desk. I received but one blow on the side of the head; after which we reasoned the case, till he grew milder and milder, and at length undertook to quiet his companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment