(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Monday, October 12, 2020

A Creed for Indigenous People's Day


NATIVE AMERICAN CREED

I believe in God, Creator of our unique native languages, Who gifted us this identity as a distinct people through our native tongues, so that our native spiritual leaders could relay God’s love to our native people who could not understand that foreign tongue called English. 

I believe in Jesus Christ, our relative, Who talked of us when he said, “I have other sheep out there, besides those I have here.” I believe in Jesus Christ who knew the pain of our native people who were forced from their homeland and had no place to lay their head. I believe in Jesus Christ as our Chief Cornerstone as we begin to build a new generation of native spiritual leaders. I believe in Jesus Christ who does not say “goodbye” in any language, but says “I will come again.” 

I believe in the Holy Spirit as tongues of fire lighting upon our native people to witness to their people and to the world, through the native song and dance. I believe in the Holy Spirit as our guide and the driving force for our native people to do a new thing as we walk a new journey, toward perfection for all humankind. 


The Rev. Roger Scott is a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. His poetic interpretation of Luke 2:8-11 draws upon his experiences from the powwow culture within Native America.

No comments:

Post a Comment