(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Celebrating the Life of Skippy Rollins

Steve Batch sings with Lorie Courier (piano)
and Martha Batch (assistant)


Sarah-Finch "Skippy" (Maiden) Rollins

July 27, 1922 - December 22, 2021

(see the service at this link)

"Life is eternal, And love is immortal.  And death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight."   —Rossiter W. Raymond (1840-1918)

Prelude... Lorie Courier / “Für Elise” (Beethoven)

Gathering... Rev. Dr. Charles Alkula

Dying, Christ destroyed our death. Rising, Christ restored our life. Christ will come again in glory. As in baptism  Skippy put on Christ, so in Christ may Skippy be clothed with glory. Here and now, dear friends, we are God’s children. What we shall be has not yet been revealed; but we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Those who have this hope purify themselves as Christ is pure.

The Word of Grace: Jesus said, I am the resurrection and I am life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, yet shall they live, and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I hold the keys of hell and death. Because I live, you shall live also.

Greetings: Friends, we have gathered here to praise God and to witness to our faith as we celebrate the life of Skippy Rollins. We come together in grief, acknowledging our human loss. May God grant us grace, that in pain we may find comfort, in sorrow hope, in death resurrection.

Prayer: O God, who gave us birth, You are ever more ready to hear than we are to pray. You know our needs before we ask, and our ignorance in asking. Give to us now Your grace, that as we shrink before the mystery of death, we may see the light of eternity. Speak to us once more Your solemn message of life and of death. Help us to live as those who are prepared to die. And when our days here are accomplished, enable us to die as those who go forth to live, so that living or dying, our life may be in You, and that nothing in life or in death will be able to separate us from Your great love in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Unison Reading of Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. 

Skippy’s “Guide for Living” and Psalm 121, Proverbs 3:5-6... Sally Rollins Sodal

Special Music... Steve Batch / “On Eagles Wings” (Isaiah 40:31)

New Testament Lesson (1 Corinthians 13)... Guy Rollins

Eulogy... Rev. Dr. Scott Schiesswohl

Special Music... Steve Batch / “His Eye Is on the Sparrow”

Commendation... Rev. Dr. Charles Alkula

Receive Skippy into the arms of Your mercy. Raise Skippy up with all Your people. Receive us also, and raise us into a new life. Help us so to love and serve You in this world that we may enter into Your joy in the world to come. Amen.

Hymn... “Amazing Grace” (UMH #378, verses 1, 4, 5, 6)

Dismissal with blessing: Rev. Dr. Charles Alkula

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace. Amen. (Numbers 6:24-26)

Postlude... Lorie Courier / “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee”


We trust in God, 

In life, in death, in life beyond death.

God is with us. We are not alone

Thank thee, Lord God. Amen


Thanks to: Steve Batch (soloist), Austin Cooper (usher), Lorie Courier (piano), Sandra Jordan (fellowship gift bags), and Jim Vander Vorste (usher)

No comments:

Post a Comment