(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Devotional for the First Sunday of Advent

My Best Gift

The best gift I have ever received was a surprise hug from my daughter Lily. Now don't get me wrong - all hugs from my family are treasures to me - I am one lucky man! But this surprise hug stands out for the blessing of its power and joy.


It was an ordinary Wednesday and the family had piled into the car and we had raced to get Ella to 4th grade on time and then raced to get Lily to 7th grade by the ringing of the final bell. I had dropped Lily off and was pulling out to head to work when from the corner of my eye I saw her running after the car. I pulled back over and came to a stop and she flung the passenger door open and jumped into the car.  She then proceeded to lunge- and I mean lunge- at me full force; hugging me with what seemed to be every ounce of energy and love she could muster.


“What in the world, Lily - are you alright”, I asked. Breathlessly, and with tears in her eyes and joy in her voice she yelled (in my ear) “I love you Daddy.  I just love you so much that it bubbled up inside of me and thought I was going to explode if I didn't hug you right this very minute. Boom!!”  


Boom indeed.  Out of completely ordinary circumstance on a completely ordinary day I was hit with such an enthusiastic expression of love. I gave her a kiss and hugged her back and off she went happily to school. I cried all the way to work.  I was so humbled by this enormous burst of love and joy - counting myself as lucky and blessed beyond measure.


I love the journey of advent - for the joy it offers and the way it calls us to be open to a hit of love divine. It takes our ordinary and calls us to expect the extraordinary.  The older I grow, the more humble I become by such extraordinary love - both divine and human.  


- Don B.

No comments:

Post a Comment