(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

A Prayer found in Chester Cathedral

Chester Cathedral

(The origin of this prayer/poem is unknown though it is sometimes attricuted to St. Thomas More.)


Give me a good digestion, Lord,
     And also something to digest;
But when and how that something comes
     I leave to Thee, Who knowest best.

Give me a healthy body, Lord;
     Give me the sense to keep it so;
Also a heart that is not bored
     Whatever work I have to do.

Give me a healthy mind, Good Lord,
     That finds the good that dodges sight;
And seeing sin, is not appalled,
     But seeks a way to put it right.

Give me a point of view, Good Lord,
     Let me know what is, and why.
Don’t let me worry overmuch
     About the thing that’s known as 'I'.

Give me a sense of humour, Lord,
     Give me the power to see a joke,
To get some happiness from life
     And pass it on to other folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment