(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Devotional for December 19


UMH #585

I bicycle to work every day, and when my son Ben was in pre-school he rode behind me in his child trailer. Early one the fall Ben helped me put lights on his trailer, but we had not yet needed them. That changed (as it does every year) on the Monday after we turn our clocks back one hour. There was plenty of light the previous Friday, but that Monday when Ben exited school he was surprised and a little fearful of the darkness. He asked, “Daddy, we will ride the bicycle in the dark!?” I assured him that we would be safe, but he was obviously dubious. I turned on the several very bright lights mounted on my bicycle, and I told Ben to turn on his trailer’s lights. To this he exclaimed “Yes!  Ben will give HIS little piece of light to the darkness.” Suddenly his fear was gone, and he was ready for the journey home. I only laughed and said, “Yes, Ben, I’m sure you will.” Having children is a decision that is difficult to explain on purely rational grounds. Why should I bring a child into a world that can be a dark and frightening place (especially when Daylight Saving Time ends). An important part of my decision is my hope and expectation that he will bring his own light. By doing good deeds and praising God, Ben’s light will dispel fear and fight the darkness. Just as this is my hope for my children, it was God’s hope for his son and for all us. I’m glad to know that Ben’s light is already shining


—Scott Glancy

No comments:

Post a Comment