(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Devotional for December 4


Bethlehem
UMH #249

I like 3/4 rhythm. I especially like the opening melody transitions between the second and third phrases. The last eight phrases make a beautiful run. “Star reigns its fire”: A sparkling display of fireworks celebrating this special event. “Cradle a King”: Cradled brings a tender feeling of Motherhood and we all feel our baby boys are kings. 

Having been to Bethlehem and touched the cradle where it presently sits my childhood images of the birth re-emerges. “Ages imperiled....over the world/Hearth aflame...home of the nation”: I can relate to a birth 2000 years ago with like celebrations today. 

Finally, “There’s a song in the air”: I have fond memories of attending the 11 o’clock p.m. Christmas Eve service at my Lutheran church on a cold crisp snowy Nebraska night and hearing the pipe organ playing Christmas carols which were pealing from the tall steeple.

 —Marcia Hult

No comments:

Post a Comment