(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Devotional for December 12

In 2002, Charles was serving as a Navy chaplain at the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. That December, we agreed we would accept the challenge of finding each other a present without spending too much money for it. I am embarrassed that I cannot remember what I gave him, but I will never forget what he gave me! 

Christmas morning, I unwrapped a beautifully decorated box. When I unfolded the tissue paper inside, what I saw surprised me, confused me, and then utterly delighted me. Several plain gold rings were inside the box. I looked at him with a perplexed look on my face. He could tell that “I didn’t get it.” He explained he had visited a local pawn shop, and it had taken him a long time to find gold rings that were similar in size. 

Charles explained that he wanted me to have five golden rings. He reminded me of the lyrics in the familiar “Twelve Days of Christmas” song: “On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: Five golden rings.” And then “I got it!” To this day, I am touched by this creative gift he gave me, “his one true love!” Not only was he able to “wow” me and surprise me with an unforgettable gift, but he had also kept to our agreement. He had not spent much money, and yet, he had bought me a priceless gift!  

When I think of God’s love for each of us, I marvel at how God showers us with one priceless gift after another! Praise God for being our Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer!

 

—Belinda Alkula

No comments:

Post a Comment