(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Monday, December 21, 2020

Devotional for December 21

Every December, I asked for the same Christmas gift: money that I could use to shop the after-Christmas sales. I knew if I shopped right after Christmas, my money could buy extra-special, more expensive gifts to give to my loved ones the next Christmas. 

One Christmas, when I was still in high school, I remember unwrapping a present from my mother. That year, like every year before, I had asked for money. When I picked up the present, I heard something in the box rattle. Money does not rattle! I remember thinking, “What is going on?” After I opened the box, I saw a collection of walnuts and a nutcracker. I am sure I looked bewildered and disappointed. My mother encouraged me to crack open a nut. When I cracked open that first walnut, I saw folded money in it! As I cracked each nut, I unearthed a variety of denominations of paper money. Wow! When I was done cracking, I had more money than I had ever gotten in previous years. 

Some fifty years later, I still recall that moment so vividly. What I remember is having a mother who took the time to painstakingly crack open walnuts to have enough of them that had split exactly down the middle; fold money; insert it into each walnut and then glue each one back together. That took time and patience and so much love! She had found a creative, loving way to surprise her daughter. She taught her not to judge the “book by its cover” or a “box by its rattle.” What a wonderful life-lesson! 

Thanks be to God for giving me a mother who would consistently demonstrate her love in creative and loving ways! And thanks be to God who does the same for all of us!!!

—Belinda Alkula 

No comments:

Post a Comment