(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Devotional for December 8

Growing up in a home where we prayed and went to church I kept waiting for a “light bulb” experience with specific directions, like Paul. (Acts 9:3…a light shown from heaven…) This never happened! As I aged and matured in faith, I realized my conversions were “night light illuminations” and sometimes only a candle flame.  Preparing and presenting children sermons became a faith journey in my life. I was on the edge of my chair in the early 1980’s when I heard Reverend Ed Paup, the pastor here at St. Paul’s, present a children’s sermon using Max his monkey puppet. Then I knew where I wanted to use my teaching skills. I began to see and collect ideas and topics in my daily life and found visual and tactile materials appropriate for presentation with children. Here the faith journey began as I used my Bible to connect the ideas and topics with Bible stories and verses which would stimulate and provide foundations on which a child could build their faith. (Matthew 7:24…like a person who builds a house on solid rock) Presenting the sermon to the children, using my big family Bible, provided me with so many fond memories. During the process of collection, preparation and presentation my personal faith blossomed and it was me who found a childlike faith journey. (Mark 10…receive the Kingdom of God like a child…) 

 

—Marcia Hult 

No comments:

Post a Comment