(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Saturday, December 19, 2020

Devotional for December 19

Books are the way to this girl’s heart. One Christmas my parents gave me a small, heavy box with ten fat books inside, identically bound, proudly lined up one beside the next with spines facing outward. They were my very own copies of a series of books I had already read and reread (borrowed from a friend) many times before. As soon as I was excused from the family festivities, I began reading them again. I remember distinctly, when I asked for these books, my parents discouraging me. New books are expensive, and there were books to borrow for free from the public library. I honestly didn’t expect to get the books I wanted--and to get all ten! And all in one box, complete, not stingily meted out one at a time! I still remember that as one of the best, most satisfying gifts I’ve ever received. “Every good and perfect gift is from above…” (James 1:17).

 

Rebecca Glancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment