(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Devotional for December 23


Babe in Manger

Growing up in a non-Christian home, the manger wasn’t exactly foreign, but it was just another Christmas thing. We never had a manger scene mixed in with all the Santas, elves, reindeer, and stockings. But I was intrigued by the nativity in the home of my friend whose family had a creche but no baby Jesus until Christmas. Where’s the baby?

 

This baby, this Christ child, this Messiah…where was He? As I became a believer, I started really seeing the babe in the manger. Then manger scenes began to make their way into my (massive) collection of Christmas decorations. My first Christmas season as a believer had moments of amazed devotion along with times of secular frivolity. I still have both, but when I see that manger with the baby Jesus inside, waiting for His time to live, fulfill prophecy, and die for our sins, I am humbled all over again. What is Christmas without Christ?

 

Come, Lord Jesus, come.

 

—Amy Abshire

No comments:

Post a Comment