(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Devotional for the First Sunday of Advent


1 John 2:1 (North American Standard Bible) “My little children, I am    writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

 

I understand many of God’s gifts to me by looking to the example of a life well lived by my dear mother, Sheila Margaret Barlow Hammitt. Throughout the seasons of my life, my mother was my “north star,” my loving, supportive advocate. She championed all my efforts, whether they were successful or not. “If you do your best, then I am so very proud of you,” she would always say.

 

When I think about Jesus as my advocate, my heart is warmed with memories of how my mother supported, encouraged, counseled, promoted, defended, and celebrated me and all my endeavors. Jesus, God Incarnate, gave me the gift of my mother’s love and support, which has always helped me understand the nature and gift of unconditional love. Advocates offer support, strength, and counsel and intercede for us when necessary. One of God’s gifts to me is the gift of having a mother who personified the loving advocacy of Jesus Christ, the righteous. Thanks be to God! 

 

—Belinda Alkula

No comments:

Post a Comment