(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Devotional for the Third Sunday of Advent


John 3:16 (NKJV) “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

 

Like many of us, I learned John 3:16 as a child. Long before I understood what “begotten” meant or learned about all those “begats” in Genesis listing generations from Adam to Noah ... I just thought “begotten” meant “special.”

 

When I asked Google about “Only Begotten Son,” I learned that this phrase is a translation of the Greek word monogenes and that there are several possibilities for what was meant by that word. One, of course, is the literal “Jesus is the only son of God by birth.” But another meaning of the word in the Greek language is “having no peer; unique.” So maybe my childhood notion wasn’t so far off after all. There’s no arguing that Jesus isn’t very special indeed!

 

On this third Sunday of Advent, we JOYfully anticipate the birthday of the Most Special Baby. 

—Suzanne Polacek

No comments:

Post a Comment