(Click on the pictures to make them larger)

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Devotional for the Sixth Day of Christmas


Ephesians 2:19-22 (NRSV-Updated)
“So then, you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone; in him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling place for God.”

I spent one summer in the late 1970s working as a construction laborer in Largo, Florida. Day after day, I followed the directions of the carpenters, plumbers, brick layers, electricians, and others in building the new wing of the high school I had once attended. I wasn’t involved in any way in anything concerning the construction project beyond the most menial of tasks. The last time I was back in Florida, I drove by my old school and stopped for a look at what I had helped build. I don’t doubt that the architect, the contractors, and master workers all could justifiably claim to have a greater hand in building that school, but so could I, humble laborer that I was. As with any project of human design, what I bring to the effort of building my faith is of little consequence if Jesus is not at the forefront, the cornerstone of the project. If we start with the desire to build in service to God, then our part, as humble laborers, will bring about a beautiful result that will be pleasing to our God. 


Pastor Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment